Guys use all sorts of pick up lines to approach women. From those nerve-cracking cheesy lines like “pwedeng magtanong kung saan and direction papunta sa puso mo (can I ask directions to your heart)? To corny pick up line, “nasa langit na ba ako… bakit may anghel sa tabi ko” (Am I in heaven.. .because there’s angel beside me)?
Do pick up lines work? When it comes to hitting on someone at a bar, mall or wherever else you are tracking girls, one-line pick up lines can either work or be a total flop. Corny pick up lines can either be funny and sweet or be overly sexual, degrading and too forward. So do you go for the elaborate gesture or for a lively conversation and simple complement? There is a reason that there are professional pick up artists out there — because sometimes they work.
The good ones get the conversation going and can be the deal maker for a date, however, bad ones are, inappropriately crass, desperate and a total turn off. Relying on a witty pick up line alone isn’t enough to woo the opposite sex, you need to also have a combination of confidence, connection and the ability to effectively compliment. Confidence is having a feeling or showing confidence in oneself – someone who can make a direct eye contact, a smile on your face, and with positive attitude. “There’s a fine line between confident and cocky, and always stay behind that line. A genuine connection with lively banter is also important. Recognize her inviting smile and read her eyes to see if she is giving you the time of day. You can’t go in with a pick up line and think you’re golden; you need to make a true connection with the person to get their attention”, writes Jarone Ashkenazi of YouTango.
Usually many pick up lines doesn’t work because of poor delivery. Make sure to give her compliments, about her smile, her clothes. Remember, pick up lines are not just about throwing something out and expecting a miraculous connection. If you do use a pick up line, make sure you have a plan in mind of how to build off and start a conversation.
Here are FIVE rules from Ashkenazi when considering opening with a pick up line:
1. Be original. Stay true to yourself and don’t false advertise. Don’t use some pick up line you saw in a movie, make up your own and try to make it seem organic. If you aren’t that suave/slick guy, stick to a fun and light pick up line that portrays who you really are. And if you think of yourself as more of that slick macho guy, go all-out with a cringe-worthy line as you’ll be able to back it up.
2. Be funny. Comedian Dan Nainan, by his own self-admission says that he is an average looking guy. He believes and is proof that pick up lines do work — as he dated two Playboy models — and that women love a guy with a sense of humor, “the key is to come up with funny, self-deprecating lines that make her laugh.”
3. Be flirtatious. Flattery will get you everywhere! Flirting as a form of flattery can, “break the ice and help set who you have in sight at ease,” says Lori Salkin, matchmaker and dating coach at Saw You At Sinai. A well-spoken flirtatious pick up line, while admittedly cheesy, can be appreciated by women if, “if it is not just to compliment someone’s looks, but their whole self: profession, intellect and inner beauty.”
4. Be observational. Make sure you are saying something that is relevant and not just pulling something out of the blue sky. Say something about the restaurant you are at, like ‘It’s good to be with someone who gives you the same feeling as when you see your food coming to the table’. Something in current pop-culture is also always a winner. Matthew Morgan, founder of Cuplin a matchmaking app for people to find their single friends possible dates, frequently sees great success between potential couples who use quotes from movies and music. “It’s a very quick way to articulate who you are, what you like and what you stand for without having to be overly deep and drawn out on a first date.”
5. Remember that delivery is everything. Since first impressions and judgments are formed almost instantly, delivery is critical. Make sure you you’re sincere when delivering the line as you don’t want to come off as corny or fake. Display confidence not arrogance.
Images from freedigitalphotos.net